View Single Post
Old 06-20-2002, 08:54 AM   #5
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos
I would have to disagree with Jermaine's diagnosis that most altercations "go to the ground". I understand that most altercations you were in may end up that way because you are probably thinking more Taiho-jutsu (arresting techniques) where your prime goal is immobilizing a fleeing or resisting person. I teach PACT (Police Aikido Control Tactics) to different law enforcement groups. I see many professionals that choose to go to the ground with a perp, but they don't have to in many instances.

In the IAA we teach ground defenses, but mainly to escape being in that situation (not that it would be beyond us to submit a lone opponent). I have trained in BJJ for 5 years, so I try to see both sides of the coin.

The idea that most fights go to the ground is a way to defend a philosophy and fighting style. It all depends on who is in the fight. Two unskilled people may lose balance and one or both ends on the ground. If your newaza or BJJ is strong then you may want to go the ground for advantage. But, if an unskilled person attacks a good Judoka, Aikidoka, Boxer, Bujinkanoka, karateka..etc., will they go to the ground...? My guess is that only if the skilled person perceives an advantage by doing so.

And two skilled fighters squaring off would offer the same thing. (We could hope that in most instances their training would sink in and it wouldn't happen) But, it depends on where the perceived advantage is.

A blanket statement like "most fights go to the ground" can be a little misleading.

When I train Aikido ALL my fights go to the ground. Uke is always looking up at me from the ground

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos