View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #22
Janet Rosen

Re: Teacher OKs "Avoid[ing] touching females on religious grounds"

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
It did not sound to me like her was changing the dojo politics by segregating all the students and classes. Yet, perhaps since its his school, it his choice and it may be useful. (We often let the children train with the adults, where other schools/dojos do not.)
Reading both articles, my take-away was that yes he WAS segregating the students and classes by gender. As instructor he made a decision to fundamentally change the entire dojo culture and depriving all students of ability to train cross-gender in order to accommodate one new student.

I am thrilled to be training in a dojo that is very inclusive. That inclusivity in practice does not mean changing everything about how a class is conducted. It means those of us with experience and willingness tend to partner with newer folks who come in with issues (be they physical or emotional) rather than turning them loose with, say, another newer student who might not be a good match and lead to somebody getting hurt or escalating.

And Lynn I am not advocating having him not train....my own approach would be to suggest that any male students who wished to train with him would do so. And if not enough did, well that's how it goes.

Last edited by Janet Rosen : 01-16-2014 at 10:42 AM.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield