Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Article: Clarity and Self-Delusion in One's Training by George S. Ledyard

To pay a little serious attention to these questions:

Quote:
Robert Fortune wrote:
Aloha,

Having taken the time to read Mr. Ledyard's article I have a comment or two about my thoughts of it. I wondered where he as the top "Kahuna" was as this new social atmosphere was unfolding in *his* dojo? MIA?
I think the point of his article is that it is not up to the teacher to ask and answer these questions...it is up to the student. I'm going through some of these very issues myself right now, I have gone through them before, and will probably go through them again in the future. The fact is, as I age, as I get engaged in my career, as I get engaged in the aging of my parents, these questions come up more and more often. I don't look to my teacher to solve these problems for me. I have to do the work myself. I have to make time for my training, I have to decide whether to be a leaf, trunk, or root. I have to make these decisions bear fruit in my actions. The teacher can make the environment by setting the tone, creating a good place to train, supporting me in my choices. But I have to make the choices. It's the same for any other *adult* activity that I know.

Quote:
Aikido *is* clearly intended to be more than the study of the physical mechanics which anyone through repetition can learn easily enough. Want to learn how to knock people out or simply kick a**? Start doing it as best as you can and keep at it long enough and in time you'll improve. Is that Aikido? I don't so, but hey who am I to say what it is to you? Peace, Justice & Love.

Aloha,

-Robert
Funny, I've been training in aikido fairly regularly for about 10 years now, and I *still* am not completely sure of all of what it is and what it isn't. If I ever figure it all out, I'll be sure to post it.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)