View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #82
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi
Re: Refining my view of aiki

Quote:
Jon Reading wrote: View Post
Correct. We have kata. Kata is intended to provide guidance for learning technique and defining roles. But kata does not address the degradation of uke and nage into winners and losers as we see it in the dojo. You're still not getting away from role play. This is where the koryu can preserve the integrity of the training while aikido starts to give out the white hats to nage and the black hats to uke...
This is interesting to me as regards kenjutsu training (Kashima no Tachi with Inaba sensei) - fairly traditional (koryu) stuff as regards uke's role as the senior is to pressurise shite (nage) in such a way as to elicit a particular response (during a kata).

As nage, I have many times had the experience of being able to respond in a way that I couldn't subsequently repeat - and that was due to the uke at the time giving me the appropriate pressure (or placing me in a situation) which forced me to respond in a particular way.

As a teacher (uke), I have had to learn how to transmit this experience to my students. And part of that is how to continue to advance my own training at the same time as I am teaching others - that is a "not so obvious" aspect that I am very much still working on...