View Single Post
Old 05-26-2005, 10:33 AM   #53
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States
Re: Aikido Works

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote:
The basic hip throw is a fundemental basic technique in many martial arts, inluding Ju Jitsu, Judo, Brazilian jiu Jitsu .....
Never did those.

Quote:
.... Karate .....
The throws I've seen in karate may go around the hip, but nothing up and over as in Koshi nage. In Shotokan we never did any throws at all, except for one time when Sensei had us do the setups for Judo throws.

Quote:
..... Aikido, TKD ....
The aforementioned Shotokan sensei had a black belt in TKD -- his he'd been in a school with a unique history --- and no hip throws either.

Quote:
...... By telling me that koshinage is an advanced technique in Aikido does not give me any more confidence in Aikido ....
There are plenty of arts where the hip throw does not show up *at all* in spite of your protestations to the contrary. You want to tell a Thai Boxer you have no confindence in their art because they don't do Judo-style hip throws? Bring a bucket; it's your ride home.

Quote:
I mean Aikido generally prides itself in being an art that masters the art of ukemi. If they have not mastered the most basic form of ukemi, the breakfall, then I really don't know what to say.
Well, that's the way Aikido is. They don't do things the way Judo does because they're not Judo; that's all there is to it. If you can't accept it, too bad.