View Single Post
Old 08-04-2007, 10:23 PM   #46
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States
Re: Sparring in Aikido?

Quote:
Roman Kremianski wrote: View Post
Are there any place online to see videos of previous Yoshida Shihan seminars?
Not that I know of. Yoshida Shihan is really busy teaching in Europe Russia and The United States and I am sure he's being filmed all over the place now.

I think the Aikido Journal may have a few clips of him at a demonstration but as a rule Senior Yudansha of Nishio Shihan have not been into being filmed all that much. Shoji Nishio himself was very reluctant to expose too much because he was always refining his technique to match advancements in other Martial Arts and he felt the viewer would not appreciate or mistake what he/she saw as "The way we do it." Stan (Pranin) Finally convinced him to write something down before he passed, and the result was "Yurusu Budo" ("The Budo of Acceptance." Our Aikido)

Koji Yoshida lived with Nishio Shihan fulltime for over ten years as Uchi Deshi and has practiced andtaught Aikido for over 35 years. We were very lucky that Nishio Shihan appointed him US Represenative before he passed. He will eventually get more exposure here in the US we hope... As our Aikido as an organization is very small, and consists of a half a dozen dojos. In Europe and Japan our Aikido is huge but here we got a late state (Nishio Shihan first visited the States in the early 80's).

Sorry if this is TMI but I will provide stuff from Yoshida Shihan as it becomes availible to me.

William Hazen