Thread: No Sankyo
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2006, 05:36 PM   #14
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: No Sankyo

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
I, too, have my questions about locks'* effectiveness, although unlike yourself, I have no opportunities to practice them.

But from the ivory tower of practice in the dojo, I've come to conceive locks** as a kind of ATEMI--you hit 'em with the pain and shock and quickly do something else.
Don,
A lock is just a handle that allows more direct power transfer to the center than would be the case if there were no lock. Yes, locks can also be attacks to the joint itself but this isn't how you move someone. in fact if one does a lock as "atemi' the purpose is to destroy the joint and that requires enough acceleration that the opponent doesn't move before the joint goes. Tom Read Sensei is the best at this that I have ever seen. Taking ukemi from him is terrifying.

Anyway, a lock for purposes of moving a subject is not about pain or power. It's simply a way to move the person on the same weak lines one would use if one were doing any other technique. for instance I can do a Sankyo on you that wouldn't hurt much, if at all, but it will move you quite nicely through space because it uses the ikkyo curve that all the other techniques run on. You can look at Sankyo as simply a way to move the entire shoulder line through space on the ikkyo curve. Then strength or pain resistance doesn't enter into it.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com