View Single Post
Old 10-15-2002, 03:41 AM   #16
Kevin Wilbanks
Re: what can I say?

Quote:
Mike Lee (mike lee) wrote:
At least the "sluggard" came to practice.
I don't think this is necessarily a blessing. One 'sluggard' comes to mind from the past who showed up to class almost every night - apparently more to get out of the house or be part of the Aikido scene than to actually train. I'd rather see someone come less often, but show up with some earnest energy. Someone who shows up and wants to go very slow or take long rests when it is plain to see that they aren't physically pushing themselves is insulting their partners and wasting their time.
Quote:
Mike Lee (mike lee) wrote:
I'm getting a little older, so I have to pace mayself more than 10 years ago. I work hard at the beginning of the practice, then I seek out beginners and "sluggards" when I want to slow the pace down. Everybody's working at their own level. Try to learn from everyone, learn patience, and learn to deal with negative emotions. That's also part of the training.
...said the rich man to the poor man. Sounds like you are speaking from the position of having a large club with a diverse student body. I remember showing up to many a class where there was hardly such a smorgasbord from which to select - and the need for patience and dealing with 'negative' emotions began to make up the majority of training.