View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 05:51 AM   #16
Lorel Latorilla
Japan
Re: Science, speed and spirals...

Quote:
Lee Salzman wrote: View Post
Look at it this way, if we operate under this idea that it will be 10 years yet till we can understand how to move enough to describe potential flaws in movement, how will we spot flaws in ourselves and gradually correct them to make ourselves move better? It is an opportunity for us to practice a skill that will help improve our own training - learning to spot the mistakes.

Likewise for Mike Tyson: look at the spot in the video I pointed out - around 3:22 when he does the strike in slow-mo. Now, if he is bleeding all his force out his hip, and dragging his entire upper body and arm along behind it, what does it matter if he is spiraling or getting under or opening and closing? If he was driving more longitudally through his torso and arm, then he could start worrying about those concepts, but as is, he is actually throwing himself backward and sideways at the point of impact, no?
1) I'm busy enough meeting people, talking to people, etc. correcting my 'skills'. Judging whether Mike Tyson has it or not on an internet forum with people who potentially don't have exposure to these skills can result in possible miscommunication of terms. If there is no baseline, foundational understanding from both parties, how can we have a conversation? How will the conversation help the person who is not exposed to those skills? how will it help the person who is exposed to these skills?

2) "If we operate under this idea that it will be 10 years yet till we can understand how to move enough to describe potential flaws in movement, how will we spot flaws in ourselves and gradually correct them to make ourselves move better" You're suggesting here that if I don't have a deep understanding of movement and can point out potential flaws in movement NOW, or SOON, then I should not be able to point out flaws in myself fairly quickly. The fact of the matter is, I don't have a deep understanding of this stuff. I'm still a beginner. Secondly, I don't need to understand how to move enough to describe potential flaws in movement, I have coaches to do that. We're talking physical movement and skill, not philosophy and language games. If I want to correct myself, I go to a coach to be corrected. That's the ideal for me. If I can't have that, then I go to the coach and ask him for some advice through words. Will I go to Aikiweb to improve myself? Sorry, but nope.

3)" Now, if he is bleeding all his force out his hip, and dragging his entire upper body and arm along behind it"--Case in point, I have no clue what you are talking about here. Bleeding all his force out of his hip? How do you do that? What's dragging his upper body and arm? His hip? how does the hip 'drag' the upper body and arm 'behind' it when the hip is moving forward?

"If he was driving more longitudally through his torso and arm, then he could start worrying about those concepts, but as is, he is actually throwing himself backward and sideways at the point of impact, "

Why should he start worrying about those concepts? What is it about driving vertically from torso to arm that makes it a 'base' for other skills like 'getting under' and 'spiralling'?

Unless stated otherwise, all wisdom, follies, harshness, malice that may spring up from my writing are attributable only to me.