View Single Post
Old 12-30-2003, 11:56 PM   #14
Goetz Taubert wrote:
@ Jason Breitzman

Interesting how you are reversing cause and consequence concerning the developement of the "universal love concept". Do you have any proof for reinterpreting the existing biographical data in this way?
I'm not sure what this question means. I think that your point is that I have assumed more knowledge than I have. I have been informed recently that I am prone to making this error. I will go back and reconsider my statements in a more humble manner.
Goetz Taubert wrote:
It sounds - by your leave - a little too much like a simplifying pop-psychologic interpretation.
I am a simple product of my pop-culture and it's obsession with cheap psychology. Perhaps this is my road block on the path to understanding.
Goetz Taubert wrote:
Next problematic statement is the "to pound the evil doer into submission".
My statement was in relation to my view of the American philosophy of dealing with agressors, not Aikido philosophy. I think that many people around the world would agree that American's have an obsession with violent resolution of anything they view as unjust agression. I would agree that this is somewhat troubling. It might be preferable to allow an opponent to cease their agression at some point in the conflict. On the other hand, I am American and I enjoy a good action hero smack down. (See, I told you I'm a product of my culture.)

QUOTE="Goetz Taubert"]So I would like to say that aikido is not a koan for M. Ueshiba (he developed it), but Ueshibas Aikido is a koan for us.[/quote]
If Aikido is a koan then Ueshiba was not above pondering it. Even in Western culture there are examples of individuals who follow inspiration and end up developing transcendantly complex analogies for the universe. For the creator, the koan becomes one step in the evolution of thought. A tool for further insight. I believe that Craig Reynolds' Boids is a Western example.