View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
Melchizedek

Dojo: Phil. Aikikai/Santiago Aikido Club
Philippines
Re: OK to Challenge Other Arts / Defend the Name of Aikido?

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
Why does aikido need to be defended?

Quote:
Would not the very act of engaging in a challenge to other MAs be completely in opposition to what aikido is? So in doing so wouldn't that make us a hypocrite?
I dont agree

Quote:
No I can't. But I'm not sure it really needs defending. If someone comes into the dojo wanting to be shown the effectiveness of aikido I am sure sensei would be happy to demonstrate.

Risking my life seems a bit pointless. I mean really... what would dying for aikido actually achieve? Better to live for aikido. If I am dead I can't help others to learn... (once I know enough to actually be a teacher that is).

I really don't get why it must be proven. Either one believes aikido works or one does not. What is, for one person, the perfect MA might not be right for someone else. If someone wants to tell my why their MA is better than aikido I'll just smile and nod and let them believe it. It won't cost me anything to allow them to be right.

So much conflict... just let it go and train.
hi Cherie,

I appreciate your response and i agree from what you`ve said
and the reason why i open this is that the inevitable chances that we have here in our Dojo is frequently ongoing and one of my reasons to draw new practitioners and my response to Mister Carsten as well.

Quote:
Re: non-Japanese cannot become shihan anymore?

Araneta Melchizedek wrote: View Post
Interesting!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I
Why?

And what has this to do with aikido?

Carsten

Last edited by Melchizedek : 01-04-2010 at 11:35 AM.