View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #79
lbb
United_States
Re: philosophical or practical martial art?

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
I notice the general consensus is that O'Sensei was not a good teacher. Of course I thoroughly disagree even if the majority think so.

What it does as far as I can see is open the door to bad students led by those who say O'Sensei was a bad teacher. It opens the door to lots of intellectual claptrap and 'new' ways bringing back the 'old'

No wonder you're confused. Bad students always look for a 'better' teacher, a new way, the misssing withheld secrets. It's never anything to do with them. That's the simplicity of it really in my view.
Well, there's simple, and then there's simplistic. I'm having a hard time seeing your approach as being any different from just guzzling down the Koolade without questioning the content. You sound more like a cult member than a critical thinker. Aikido is not a cult -- please stop making it into one.

Once again, you may end up at the correct answer, but if so, IMO you're doing it purely by accident. The logic that a student who criticizes a teacher must be a bad student is just a bogus as the logic that a teacher whose students aren't all outstanding is a bad teacher.