View Single Post
Old 09-20-2008, 01:52 AM   #66
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: Christian Tissier: Ukemi

Quote:
Jonathan Olson wrote: View Post
My answer to your question is it depends.

I agree the final look of ukemi depends on how the technique is done. However, with the best aikidoka I've trained with, you don't have to know what to expect or what is expected of you, you simply get thrown.
Yes, I agree. That' sthe wyay it should be.

I asked this question because some uke don't expect to be led straigh down an move their center away from nage. If they do so it causes trouble for them.

Quote:
The trouble I had with Tissier pulling joints had nothing to do with the direction of the technique. More the fact that he asked me to stand strong and then went through the joints at good speed and power.
Ok, thats another situation.

Quote:
This requires quick reflexes on uke's part to keep up, which would be unnecessary if nage had proper control of uke's center.
Yes, quick reflexes are needed.
And a flexible, smooth center.

But never ever we try to work through pain or fear. And never ever we have our uke to anticipate our technique. That's a "sin" in our view.
We always try it to do just the way you describe it your teacher does: To control ukes center an lead him - without pulling joints or something like that.

I just tried to understand why you - and some others - made experiences with Christian which I can't really explain to me.

Thank you,
Carsten