View Single Post
Old 07-31-2005, 04:17 AM   #1
Pdella
Aikdio vs. someone using a boxing style?

Whats up everybody...

I was messing around and boxing with my buddy the other day in the street and it made me think about my aikido more. As a disclaimer, I've only been practicing aikido for a year and I have much to learn. Anyway, the boxing wasn't serious (no head shots), but I was surprised at how difficult it was for me to actually pull off an aikido technique. I was wondering how people get close enough to opponents using boxing-type techniques. In my case, I have shorter arms than my homeboy who I was boxing so it was hard for me to get close enough to do shiho nage, which was the technique I had in my head to use. I also noticed that in the dojo we train by responding to & giving attacks that rush in recklessly, whereas most Americans in a fight utilize a boxing style that is a lot more careful than that. You punch strong but you don't fall over onto the ground if the person dodges the punch.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this situation? Is there a way to draw a fuller attack from the other person, perhaps using atemi or another idea? If someone is in a very stable boxing stance, is there a simple way to take his/her balance? I couldn't figure it out at the time. I could chalk it up to my alcohol consumption at the time or my relative newness to aikido, but I'd also like to learn how to handle this, since most American bar fights result in some amateur form of boxing technique being used.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Last edited by Pdella : 07-31-2005 at 04:21 AM.