View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 01:26 PM   #87
wildaikido
Dojo: Hans de Jong Self Defence School
Australia
Re: AIkibudo/Yoseikan Techniques

Quote:
Darin Hyde wrote: View Post
Yosh did tell me his side of the story. I think it was over money but I can't remember the details.
I never bothered with it, because when you hear a story you are only hearing one side. But Sensei Hans respected him, so I can do nothing but respect him. Although some of the others in Perth had other thoughts. I would have liked to have trained with Yoshi more, but back them (2000) I was just after Aikido training, and Yoshi said that it wasn't Aikido it was Budo, which I notice when training. Now I train like that so it is a shame.

Quote:
David King got his 4th dan about 25 years before I did so I consider him my senior even though we are the same grade. He is now a karate instructor in Branko's organization.
Interesting, that means he must have gotten to forth dan in less then 10 years. He must have been dam good!

Quote:
I trained with Roy for a month or so. His dojo is just too far away to go train for an hour. Good instructor though but he's not a fan of aikido. That didn't really bother me as I got to work on karate/kick boxing. Too bad you didn't get a chance to train in Texas.
When I can, I now go and train in LA, at least once a year. I make sure I arrange to go to conferences in the US so I can stop by.

Quote:
Yoseikan/Seifukai aikido is pretty soft compared to what Yosh taught. Its just not flowing like in aikikai. Yoshi changed the techniques by replacing or modifying them with jujitsu, karate, Yoshinkan and Tomiki versons.
This is what I though when I went to see him. In hind sight, I wish I had trained with him for a few years.

Quote:
I am not surprised at what you experienced in Ross's dojo. When I trained in the hombu it was pretty soft too. Actually I have seen of Patrick Auge's dojo also show soft aikido. I think these schools have lots of kids and old people so they train more gentle. There is also the legal factor too.
Training in LA is anything but soft. The advance classes are unlike anything I have seen anywhere. But the thing that got me was how good the Aikido was, but how the Judo and Karate was weaved through it seamlessly. It was perfect Aikido. I was blown away. I have basically trained at every Aikido club in Perth (except the Kokikai and the one in Rolystone) and no one has ever taught me as much about Aikido as I have learnt training in LA.

Regards,

Graham Wild