View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007, 01:55 AM   #14
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: I Need Aikido ?'s Answered PLEASE!

There are many principles contained within the techniques of aikido, but the notion that the various attacks are simply there to teach general principle is highly suspect. You won't learn how to deal with punches to the face by training against wrist grabs. I trained for quite some time in kick boxing and we never worked with wrist grabs, not even in the first class. You appear to have answered your own question:

Quote:
Arthur Capone wrote:
All of the attacks with which you are to defend at both schools are either a chopping down (like a sword) coming down on your head, or a chopping at the waist. I know that O'Sensei came from a sword culture. But why are teachers making moves like this in order for us to learn Aikido against when, in the real world, people DON'T ATTACK LIKE THAT!?
Form follows function. The techniques of aikido don't work well against common barehanded attacks, because that is not what they were designed for. In the "real world" that gave birth to these techniques, people did attack like that. They carried swords and knives, and needed techniques that worked in that environment. Even if you were to use aiki with common barehanded attacks it wouldn't look like aikido . . . it would look like Roy Jones Jr. in his prime.

You also should be clear on your motivations.
Quote:
Arthur Capone wrote:
[i] have zero interest in hurting anybody and want to take Aikido to revolutionize my life
But while I want to dedicate my life to an art like Aikido, I also want to be able to defend myself if some guy or guys mess with me.
I say, quit thinking about it. Join a dojo. Train at least three times per week for three months, then see how you feel.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki