View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 09:08 PM   #24
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States
Re: Is Aikido effective for police?

I became convinced early on the the salesmen who developed PPCT (Pressure Point Control Tactics) and all of the other three day wonder courses that are out there understood their client quite well.

Police Departments were begging for someone who could be an expert witness with a program (whether it worked or not) that (1) fell within the annual budget and (2) could absolve them from liability. There was little real concern over whether the stuff really worked.

One guy I hired at Frontsight was the former DT instrucxtor for LAPD and later San Bernadino SO. He came from a 3 generation Jujitsu family. And he had added Krav Maga to his teaching curriculum. His experience was similar to yours. Cops do not want to train.

In the early 1990's Hal von Luebbert developed the 21 Grip system for suppressing attacks. The system is pure Genius. Hal was a military tactics expert and applied "suppression" rather than "attrition" to police Defensive Tactics simply because suppression has a better combat efficiency value.. He was also interested in helping police find humanitarian ways of dealing with resistance. Hal was also an aau state wrestling and Judo champion, an Olympic judo coach with 3 national championships under his belt. He was also belted in Jodo and Aikido.

The system did not go far as it took about 3-5 weeks to train in for proficiency. I was given permission to post portions of Hal's system on U-tube. I hope to do it this week.