View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #26
"dontwanttousemyname"
IP Hash: fda796c0
Anonymous User
Re: 5th kyu shihans

Quote:
Basia Halliop wrote: View Post
Personally I think saying this was a mistake. You're pretty much never going to gain another person's respect by telling them they should respect you...at best it makes no difference, but more often it lowers their respect for you.

IMO, use the opportunity to figure out how to deal with a large unwieldy opponent, don't worry so much about 'teaching' him how to do his part if he's not receptive or not appearing to find your advice helpful, when you get into that situation ask Sensei for help dealing with a large opponent who moves this way (if Sensei feels the need he'll show the uke something too), and otherwise just train with him, unless you feel unsafe or feel that he is going to get hurt. And especially, don't waste your time worrying whether your partner respects you or not.
At this point I've moved forward. What is interesting here is that many did not notice a thinly vailed threat spoken. I've decided not to train with him, until his attitude changes. I've discussed it with two sensei's in the dojo. Both believe that I handled it well and they will keep an eye on him for the next few weeks. Threats don't go well in our world. Threats are not appropriate.

Thank you to everyone who offered insight.