View Single Post
Old 01-29-2007, 04:29 PM   #52
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Seagal's technique...is it his size?

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote:
And raise a whole host of new issues, like being acquainted with the legal limits on the use of deadly force.
It is a shame that we live in an anti-self-defense society. Don't forget, these legal issues that you brought up can affect you whether there is a weapon involved or not. Plus, your view seems a little narrow. Pepper spray is effective and won't cause injury. Most criminals are looking for easy targets; just brandishing a weapon with intent to use it will often cause them to reevaluate their decision.

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote:
But let's say for the sake of argument you're the 5' 8" martial artist facing the 6' 7" linebacker and you don't have an equalizing weapon handy. What are you going to do? Say "Sorry, you can't attack me because you're out of my weight class"? Or rethink the premise that the smaller guy is always doomed? Personally, I'd say the latter, but that's just me.
I didn't say the smaller guy is always doomed. I try to stay away from always and never statements.

Back on topic.
Instead of speculating experience it for yourself. I strongly suggest training against people of varying sizes, not in a uke-nage relationship, but where each person has the same intention, both attempting to apply techniques while counteracting the techniques of the other. After doing this post your experiences. How much of a factor was size and strength?

Michael