View Single Post
Old 03-26-2004, 11:15 AM   #12
mantis
Paul, in Tomiki Aikido, we have a technique called Hiki-Otoshi, and it seems to be similar to what you are describing. Pressure is applied to Uke's elbow from below as you face each other.

One way it can be used is when you go into shiho-nage, or mae-otoshi (similar to hiji-ate) and you are behind ukes R arm (Your R hand on uke's R wrist), and uke overpowers you (by pivoting towards you) and is now facing you and you are now inside of ukes arm.

As Uke starts to overpower you and pivots, pass off uke's wrist to your Left hand and attack his elbow from below (by applying pressure upward) with your R hand (this is the position you seem to be describing). This stalls uke momentarily and forces him on his tiptoes.

As his weight falls forward (floats) and he takes a step towards you, step back and throw him down the line of his feet. (making sure to avoid his L hand if he were to strike at you).

It's hard for me to write how this works, so I hope it's not to confusing. I've seen Hiki-Otoshi done a few different ways, so maybe someone else can add to what I described.