View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 10:09 AM   #265
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States
Re: AIkibudo/Yoseikan Techniques

Quote:
Jennifer Smith wrote: View Post
But aikido was not a pre-war art (ok, I know this is a point of contention for some).
But OSensei retired in 1942. As far as I can tell, what OSensei was doing later in life was not so different from what he did early in his Daito Ryu studies. If you look at those people who he had daily post-war influence in (Saito, Isoyama) it looks a lot like the stuff he was doing in the 1930's. Saito would frequently show students at seminars the Noma dojo photos (published as "Budo") to demonstrate how he had not changed OSensei's teachings. I received my shodan from Minouru Kurita Sensei, who was one of (if not the) last uchideshi to OSensei. It's my understanding that he spent a large part of that period with OSensei in Iwama. Not surprisingly, his line of Aikido looks a lot like Saito Sensei's.

Now if you look at what most of us think of as post-war Aikido, you see a lot more influence from many of the Hombu dojo instructors like Yamaguchi Sensei, Tohei Sensei and the nidai Doshu than you do from OSensei directly.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu