Thread: Gestalt
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2003, 04:18 PM   #16
Misogi-no-Gyo
Quote:
Jeff Rychwa (Jeff R.) wrote:
:

In fact, someone on another thread said it beautifully: You just end up with, "neatly packaged Jiujitsu."
Thank you for quoting me from the other thread. However, what I actually said was:
Quote:
As aikidoka, our hope lies in our ability to seek, discover and nurture this individual's desire and ability to be at and act through his highest intentions. Call it what you like, but anything less is spiritually empty, new age packaged Ju-jitsu, nothing more. Call it what you like, but anything less is spiritually empty, new age packaged Ju-jitsu, nothing more.
It is important to understand that the second statement relies upon the first. However, just as important is to realize that this could take place on a totally physical level - devoid of a "spiritual" meaning or effect, altogether. The most important thing is to realize that there is nothing wrong with practicing Jujitsu, of this age, or any other. However, doing so may mean that you are not practicing aikido, regardless of what it says on the brochure, sign or website.

I did not mean to hijack the thread. I posted this here, because it relates to the discussion in that if you are going to examine the "sum of the parts" that considering the container those parts are held in may be an important part of the equation. For me, connection is the key to "KI" - and Kokyu is the method of connection. However, what I am connecting to is as complex as the connection. The person on the other end is not a simple set of mechanical actions/reactions. There is any number of other things going on, on the level of personal belief system, thought, emotions, etc. As aikidoka, we can better control a purely physical confrontation if we hold the strings tied to each of these. Our path is uncovering them within ourselves, first, then figuring out how to connect to them within another, followed by searching for other levels of interrelatedness that can be discerned, deciphered, and applied.

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.