View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States
Re: Aikido or Kenpo (trying to decide)

Quote:
Scott Sharpe wrote: View Post
Hey guys!! I'm really glad I found this website and these forums...so much information!!

I'm a 22 year old male and I've been searching for something to get into..or some kind of hobby/interest type thing (i have none..besides working out). I've decided to devote the next year to martial arts and based on everything I've read online the two styles I'm interested in are Aikido vs Kenpo. It would be nice to learn both eventually.

I've done some google searches and forum searches and havent been able to find much information comparing the two. In my understanding Aikido is a "cause no harm" style (which seems like it could really come in handy in RL) while Kenpo is more lethal....in the Kenpo video's I've watched I've seen some similarities...and was just wondering how similar it is.

I'm doing this for multiple reasons...to improve myself (mentally spiritually) and to learn a form of self defense. I don't know how to defend myself at all right now...and in the past year or two I've had 2 altercations by a drunk family member and by a drugged up ex g/f friends boyfriend. They were both a lot bigger than me and were crazy to the point of baseball bats...send me to the hospital type rage. I avoiding both of them in my own various ways and nothing happened besides me getting thrown around a little.

Over all...I'd like to not have that intense fear come over me in these situations...I'd like to know that I can handle myself if something does happen...if punches are thrown...baseball bats/knives are out...which is why Im interested in Aikido. I really don't care about being "big and bad" or fighting for that matter....but I'd like to be able to defend myself if the need arises. Kenpo seems like it would be could for this also...but would cause damage...and I have seen a few similar throws.

Anyway...can I get some of your thoughts on the two? Maybe some advice as to what would be better for me....or maybe some comments from someone who practices the too?
When I first began my formal Aikido practice many years ago, my boyfriend was training in American Kenpo (Parker System). Ironically, and to the disagreement of some of my fellow aikidoka, I thought the two to be similar in their 'radicalness'. Aikido being 'maximum benevolence', kenpo being 'overskill'. The two forms overlapped in their utter extremes of effectiveness, they both pulled the arts into two ends of the spectrum. I learned quite bit of Kenpo and my boyfriend learned quite a lot of Aikido. I guess you could say we crosed trained with one another. To the great betterment of both of us.
I honestly think you could go either way if you have what you want in mind. If you go 'overskill'(kenpo) you an focus your spirit on the philosophy of aikido. And if you go Aikido, you can focus on atemi (opening strikes) and harder styles in aikido. Either way, you will need to devote a lot of yourself to develop either of these routes. Neither one of them comes easier, necessarily.
So listen to what others have to say and then put one foot in front of the next until you find a good dojo. And then train,train,train.

best of wishes,
jen

Last edited by jennifer paige smith : 06-14-2007 at 01:47 PM.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems