View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 08:41 AM   #17
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Training/sparring versus who can kick butt

They problem is there is no universal standard for Internal arts.

For example, you don't see this in boxing/bjj/judo/etc. Because we look at it differently. I didn't pick my judo coach because he was a bad ass (the man was 70 years old). I picked him because he had shown that he consistently produces good judoka who win competitions and themselves have produced good judoka.

I think any bjj guy would know who to pick when given the choice between a coach that has all his students winning every competition they go to, and a coach who is himself physically bad ass, but his students never win anything.

In short, I don't care about the combat level of my teachers. I care about the level of students they produce consistently. Anyone can get a tough guy in his class and take credit. But if everyone is consistently good, then you have a good teacher or at least teaching method.

So they way to settle it would be for each teacher to get a random sampling of first time students and train them for 1 year. They they would be forced to fight. The winning team has better training methods.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein