View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 02:28 AM   #17
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands
Re: Ueshiba's Aiki

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Funny that you should bring that up. I'm finishing up a book about Ueshiba's aikido and how it compares to Modern Aikido, especially in how Ueshiba's "aiki" was different. Look for it soon.
Please keep me posted

Quote:
Some things to think about ... if you are training techniques and are relying on timing to make them work, that isn't Ueshiba's aiki. How many are taught to get out of the way of the attack by timing the movements just perfectly so that some kind of blending can occur? Great jujutsu, but not aiki. ... You become aiki and then whatever martial system you choose, you express aiki in it.
Timing has focus when you start learning techniques to find waypoints if you will. Later on you do not need those waypoints anymore and feel the technique, the flow. And become one.

Quote:
Remember, too, that when Tenryu could not push Ueshiba over, could not get the better of him, Ueshiba stated that it was because he knew the secret of aiki.
When stated like this I cannot help but think: that is only mechanics! Would this imply that aiki is the mechanical use of body? This would concur with top level dancers....

What would the principles of aiki be?

In a real fight:
* If you make a bad decision, you die.
* If you don't decide anything, you die.
Aikido teaches you how to decide.
www.aikido-makato.nl