View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #41
DH
United_States
Re: My thoughts on competition vs Non-competioin

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
While good Aikido....taught as a core principle based system, definitely helps, the principles of Aiki are foundational and universal and NOT STYLISTIC. That is why you cannot see "Aikido" being used in a contest.
It tells alot about someones level of understanding of martial arts when they wish to see an Aikidoka be successful in sport. They are out there...I do well having won a few NAGA tournaments and a few European Championships in BJJ over the years and I am an Aikidoka. Roy Dean has done well too!

That said it is laughable and irrelevant to me to boast that I am using "Aikido" to win a contest.

I try and apply the principles I have learned over the years and I am trying to learn more and more when I can spend the time with those that have decent skills in Aiki. It is hard work and takes time to learn aiki....it has to be balanced too and priorities have to be set, IMO, on what you spend your time on in training....but that is another subject!

Aikido uses the structure of a mid-range Jiu Jitsu system in order to teach the principles of aiki. However, it is not the jiu jitsu skills that are important, but the other things you learn through that framework that are important.

Unfortunately, too many focus on the framework and stylism and being definable as Aiki or Aikido and if you can never get past that...well you will only progress so far.
I think? I am disagreeing with you.
Aiki...that is Aikido's original aiki is absolutely useful and utilitarian in competitive sport or MMA. and as Sagawa said "Instantly observable upon touch as being different."
Thus we should be able to see Aiki used in competition. Not on it's own as if you are magically going to know how to fight, but also providing people cross trained to learn to fight in various venues it becomes a serious and advantageous attribute.
Dan