View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #65
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: uke getting hurt

Hi, just read this from beginning. So here's my ten cents.

Firstly Keith was illustrating a point to do with the ignorance or even resistance of an uke can in many cases lead to them ahrning themselves in Aikido to various degrees.(Point being uke causing their own pain)

Secondly looking at the way of the teacher. For discussion purposes I would say there are of course teachers of various degrees of ability.

A) If the teacher is Quite good then when the uke persistently tries to get up then he would probably do as this one did. ie: Let it off a couple of times and then hold it or enforce it slightly to make the point.

B)However, if the teacher is very good he would actually ask the uke to try and keep trying to get out of the pin or to get up. Why? Because being a very good and able teacher the uke won't be able to move and thus impossible to be injured.

C)Therefore if it was meant to be a demonstration of holding a person down momentarily then if he is an excellent teacher again there would be no problem.

Conclusion: If a quite good teacher then it's understandable what happened.It could even be that the uke had the view that the uke should always keep trying to get up no matter what and thus thought he was being right and missing the point of the demo. The teacher thinking he was just being obstinate may then have done what he did. Who knows? A common misunderstanding. Which also leads to pain.

The optimum is that there should be no need to give pain but that would take a very good teacher and thus that would be a lesson to the uke which is much more powerful than learning by pain for he's put in a position where there's absolutely nothing he can do. Can't even move and yet feels no pain.

So that is possible and preferable and so from that viewpoint there should be no pain in teaching, be it a high level and high goal. May I say also this would be a higher level of responsibility also that many may not have experienced.

For those who can do this, I'm assuming someone like Ron Ragusa can, then that person will be aware that when it is not done in this way that ego IS involved. It's all a matter of levels and ability.

Maybe that's more than ten cents, maybe it's a whole dollar. Sorry about that.

Regards.G.

Last edited by graham christian : 02-23-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: spelling