View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #62
kewms
Re: uke getting hurt

Quote:
Mark Gibbons wrote: View Post
Do you mean it is wrong to injure people or wrong to cause any pain while training martial arts? Just guessing at what you might have meant.

I doubt you will find many supporters for "It's ok to break people who take bad ukemi or otherwise don't measure up." I didn't notice any on the thread.

If you are totally against causing any pain, well you can think anything you want. Some will agree, some won't.
This. Yes, it is wrong to deliberately injure practice partners for any reason.

However, there are several important caveats. The first is that pain does not mean injury. (And did not in the example that sparked this thread.) The second is that we are practicing a full contact martial art: if no injuries happen, ever, I question the validity of what is being practiced.

And finally, the uke in this example was not a beginner, and as such should be expected to take some responsibility for his own well-being.

Katherine

PS Not going to comment on the meta-discussion, except to observe that there appears to be some kind of subtext going on that goes over my head as a relatively infrequent reader/poster. People are assuming attitudes that do not appear to be supported by anything in the thread itself.