View Single Post
Old 08-25-2003, 10:07 AM   #30
akiy

Quote:
Lyle Bogin wrote:
If, for example, I roll with one of these guys and get them to tap, and they then decide that aikido has some value, what does that mean? He has changed his opinion, as a direct result of my ability to apply theory in action.
Exactly -- he has changed his opinion...
Quote:
It seems to me that people must allow themselves to change, therefore the direct cause of that change can be said to be internal. However, I don't think that diminishes the value of the external events or actions that initiated that change.
Without one's internal motivation (conscious or subconscious) to change, one will not.

For example (going back to Internet discussions), I'm sure everyone here has seen enough "discussions" where there are people trying to change the other party's mind through "proof," "research results," "statistics," "credentials," and "attributions." People who don't care to have their minds changed will not care about such things however meaningful they may be to you. The thread in question seems to have been started by people who have no willingness to change their minds. As Paul says, some people find no value in aikido (or whatever it is that they don't care for). And so it goes.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!