View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 11:20 PM   #291
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: Knife Randori Videos

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
What I liked about this vid was that the instructor kept a checking hand and also that he didn't let his inner arm point towards the knife. Even on the last exercise where he rotated, if the attacker suddenly pulled the knife backwards, the cut would be on the outside of the Instructor's arm.

It's things like that, that I don't see in Chris' or David's vids. Their attention to the cutting edge doesn't hold. If anyone rewatches those vids with a critical eye, they'll notices far too many times where the inner arm is presented to the knife edge, a falling uke's knife drags a part of the body, a wrist is exposed, etc. From what I can see, it's because the attention is more focused on getting an "aikido" technique and not on the knife edge. Sure, it looks good, but is it worth getting fatally cut?

Mark
Where's the "train as you fight/fight as you train" slogan? Aren't these guys cutting each other's wrists/arms every time, taking it in the gut, etc.? Of course they are, but folks make all kinds of allowances for training purposes - because you have to. One should never be so locked into a training regime. To do so is to make it doctrine, and that means it will never be capable of addressing things at the speed of life.

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.