View Single Post
Old 09-04-2006, 09:04 PM   #1
B.J.M.
Dojo: Aikido of Center City, Philadelphia, PA.
United_States
Bicep Torn While Training!

On Saturday, while training at a dojo in Arrowhead, a student and now part-time instructor I've known for awhile was using me as an uke to demonstrate what Aikido *really* looks like to his students. He decided to try the more devastating side of a particular technique, sumi-otoshi, and....

...it felt like a lightning bolt hit me.

The distal bicep tendon which connects the bicep belly to the elbow on my right arm has been completely torn away. My bicep is now balled up on top of my shoulder. I have no way of supinating my right arm nor can I turn my right wrist in a motion like if you wanted to turn a door knob. All motions used in Aikido.

I'm right handed by the way.

I have to have surgery and extensive rehab. I will be in a sling and brace for at least 10 months.

The expense will be immense.

My right arm will never be like it was; losing up to 30% of its strength.

My ability to train and teach Aikido has diminished and will never be the same. My potential will probably never be reached.

I was planning on attending many seminars this year and next. I was going to stay and train with Donovan Waite sensei for a period of time as an uchi deshi. Gone.

I am quite devastated and very, very, very depressed...

My everyday living has been completely compromised by his carelessness not to mention my future.

I am at risk for losing my job. I was going to start a sword class for kids through an organization which was going to pay me for my services. Gone.

This guy was only thinking of himself that day and how he looked. He wasn't thinking of the art, he wasn't thinking of his students, and he sure as hell wasn't thinking of me.

I was the only one who put him, his students, and the art before myself. I didn't want his students to freak and lose faith in the art or him. So instead of screaming and curling up into a ball and crying in pain, I stayed quiet so they wouldn't be scared to do Aikido or to train under him, until it was all over then I showed signs of distress. I nearly passed out twice due to the shock.

He knew what he did when he took my gi top off and saw the major deformity made by the injury. He didn't drive me down the mountain. He didn't even go with me to the hospital. Great guy.

We are taught from day one to go underneath the arm and never, NEVER to the elbow or tricep area. My entry, a cross handed grab, was slow and controlled. He then entered with all of his center, weight, and muscle directly into the back of my elbow. It made a sound like celery stalks breaking, then he looked at me, and *then* he threw me into a front role.

He took advantage of me and my ukemi. He was just wanting to show off. "Look at how fast, mean, and skillful I am..." Well, two out of three got me screwed; I'll let you guess which two.

He never had me sign a waiver. I want compensation for my medical bills that aren't covered by my insurance and I want emotional anguish compensation.

What can I do? What should I do? Has anyone had this type of injury before and if so, what was your situation and eventual outcome?

I am extremely devastated by this.

I trusted him.

-Brent