View Single Post
Old 06-11-2005, 05:11 PM   #183
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States
Re: Aikido minus mysticism: a step forward

Quote:
Phillip Kirkan wrote:
Not everyone trains just to pass on the beliefs of Ueshiba. Some want self defense training, a hobby, etc.
But if you train long enough and become an instructor, guess what you end up doing? Passing on what was passed to you; it doesn't matter in what.

Quote:
What does "aikido is love" and all the other stuff Ueshiba said have to do with the beliefs and ideas of the Japanese society as a whole during the 60s? Aikido training does not reflect Japanse culture.
(A) I said "refracted through his ideas." It's not undiluted. (B) IIRC, the Japense government supports martial arts, including Aikido, and also the classical bujitsu systems. Something about nationa heritage?

Quote:
If you want to preserve a culture, take up capoeira. It has songs, dancing, music, etc. All of these things represent culture better than wearing outdated Japanese clothing ....
Yeah, you want to tell the BJJ people to stop doing that? They want to be on the cutting edge, shouldn't they stop weating gis? Esepcailly as the Gracies are Brazillian, not Japanese.

Quote:
.... and discussing the religious beliefs of Ueshiba.
FYI, my sensei's intorductory handout says Aikido is "not an intellectual process," meaning you sit around and talk about it, but a "training program." Meaning you do something. So I guess that's covered.