View Single Post
Old 07-02-2007, 01:14 PM   #1156
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Baseline skillset

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Can you explain that in more detail? The aiki is ura of kiai?
Absolutely. According to Mochizuki Sensei, kiai is omote (front or visible, outward, recognized). It's one's pure intent. In other words, kiai is the spirit of attacking and it's pure. A person intends wholeheartedly to push, punch, kick or cut another person. That's his omote and he puts his power into that. A good example is the punch, where his power is truly focused within a small surface area in a space of an inch or two in depth.

It is, in fact, the ura of that omote to "block" the punch, strike it from the side or whatever, but that's not really the ura in a pure sense.

The real ura of an attack is where the strength is "empty" (the opposite of the fully-concentrated power in omote).

And there are two basic ways to do that:

1) move to where the force is not
2) manipulate the force to where it becomes weak

Aikido tai sabaki moves to the emptiness of the attacking strength (as a child slides into the weakness of his parents' grasp and moves to a position where he is hard to hold).

Manipulating the force can be done by parrying and/or turning the attack.

Aikido in fact, usually manipulates the attack/force while also moving into its weak spot, thereby multiplying the effect of both methods.

Unlike a "blocking" movement, though, real aiki goes to the "pure" ura of the attack--where it really is weak--and, unlike the "block," does not interfere at all with the force, so it is like the force "slips" or "slides" into its own ura or is turned inside-out or backward from itself.

Quote:
But, I have a different view of aiki-do now. One in which your theory doesn't hold much sway.
That's not my "theory," it's Minoru Mochizuki's definition of aiki.

Quote:
Structure has a lot to do with aiki. Weakest parts of an adult's effort does not. In other words, aiki works with either the strongest part of an adult effort or the weakest part of an adult effort. Doesn't matter. Not being sarcastic or anything here David, but think about that.
It "works" with the strongest part of any effort by using the inherent weakness of that effort. The old saying is, "Every front has a back. The bigger the front, the bigger the back."

Every omote has an ura. The bigger the one, the bigger the other. So however strong anyone is, his strength has an equal weakness in the ura and aiki uses that. So the weakest part of an adult's effort definitely does have something to do with aiki: it's the essence of it.

Of course, structure is a given. Without it, you literally can do nothing.

Take aki-age, for instance. If you don't have basic structure, you can't stop an on-rushing attacker by applying aiki-age because you'll be driven back, yourself. But once Mochizuki Sensei had us doing a series of techniques from aiki-age and he laughed when I did it to a judo godan, pointed at me and said, "Now that guy is good at this!"

Aiki-age would, on the surface, appear to go directly against the attacker's greatest strength, but it uses the principles described above (of course, with strong [but not fixed] posture) to access the ura of that strength, where it suddenly becomes completely weak.

I have broached the subject before with Rob and maybe with Dan as to whether their methods somehow "access" the ura of the attacker's strength directly through the physical contact. But I never got any real answer to that question.

Quote:
If you do make it to Maryland, we really should get together. In person is communication. This stuff here (AikiWeb, BB, emails, etc) is not.
Well, as close as it sometimes comes, this is not an utter void, or I wouldn't spend as much time here as I do.

Best to you.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com