View Single Post
Old 04-06-2005, 06:30 AM   #12
Jonathan Punt
Wales
Re: should i test or not????

If the only pre-requisite to grading is putting in X amount of hours, then I may be tempted to thow my name in the hat if I was very keen to pass even though my instructor has told me that I was likley to fail.

It sounds to me as though your instructor doesnt have the last say in the matter, I personally havent experienced your method of grading, but you are doing nothing wrong as far as I can see as you all knew the rules before you started training.

There seems to be a good chance that you are going to fail. So what! You can try it again next time, I expect that your instructor or the grading panel will be able to tell you exactly why you failed and what you need to work on for next time.

No system of grading is perfect, but if your chief instructor makes up the rules then they are there to be adhered to. I see no shame in failing, you dont fail til you give up.

I sometimes think that the system I have graded under, where you have to be nominated by your instructor to be able to grade has its floors. Basically you get an almost 100% pass rate, and to the outsider/newbie it appears that there are no standards.

I can understand your dissapointment that your instructor has knocked you Aikido, theres nothing stopping you going out there and proving him wrong.

J