View Single Post
Old 05-03-2007, 08:41 AM   #42
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States
Re: 90% of all fights go to the ground..

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote: View Post
I find it interesting that wrestlers, BJJ, Judoka are such a bad crowd as a group that one can expect to find them in high proportion in street fights.

I wonder in ten years on the beat how many trained wrestlers, BJJ, Judoka drunk, drugged out, in domestic violence, or up to just no good in gangs on the street ?
Was this an attempt at humor? What Kit was getting at is that you will only develop the kinds of skills that will work on the ground with people who are good on the ground. So if you want your martial arts to prepare you for many of the self defense situations that you are likely to face should it come to that, being at least comfortable with some newaza would go a long way towards becoming a well rounded martial artist. At least, that's how I take his comments, he's free to correct me if I'm missing something. I am terrible on the ground, I get tired extremely fast, I miss openings all the time and I never get my chokes in deep enough. But I've gotten a little better, and I can use my legs/feet a little better than a couple years ago. That said, when I play with my old aikido buddies, if I take them to the ground they are so disoriented that they have nothing for me. You don't do groundwork because you expect to be attacked by a ground fighter. You do it (at least if your intent is practical) because you want a HUGE advantage over whoever happens to fall down with you.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu