View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 04:34 AM   #30
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido Aikibojitsu and the Structure of Natural Law

Quote:
Alex Megann wrote: View Post
In both my aikido training and my yoga practice right now, I am working on things like freeing the shoulder blades and linking them to my spine, and feeling connections between the soles of my feet and my hips. Of course physics explains these things perfectly well, but it doesn't help me to relax and to cultivate awareness in my body - if anything, engaging my logical, rational brain has the opposite effect!
Hi Alex,

I agree, for me the progress I make in aikido is down to my own internal awarenes of what my mind and body are doing in the moment. There is no time for rational logical thought, it just gets in the way.

There is a place for the rational intellect though, when it comes to trying to explain to another what your understanding is, of what is happening. But the more complex the explanation, the less people there will be to understand you. And those that do understand, then only have an intellectual understanding and not the deep mind/body knowing that is required to actually 'do' something.

My understanding of quantum physics is sketchy at best, but I am not averse to using an aspect of it in my teaching. As far as I am aware- a wave is a particle is a wave, it is either or, depending on the moment it is 'looked' at. I try to explain that the aikido mind/body is like this, either solid or liquid depending on the moment of engagement, it works for me anyway

regards

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.