View Single Post
Old 01-10-2005, 02:18 PM   #7
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: actual techniques used by police

I would agree, it is not a very wise thing to be stuck on techniques. The overall training is what is important. Techniques are just statistical consequences of a proficiently trained law enforcement agent. Though not a police officer myself, I do train them on a regular basis and in an official capacity. The folks I have trained have come from several branches of the law enforcement profession. These people have managed to pull off nearly any "technique," but also they have been able to perform the strategies of Aikido as well -- e.g. awareness, clearing the line of attack, taking the path of least resistance, breaking balance, etc.

What is important, in my opinion, is the training -- how it occurs, how often it occurs, and under want conditions it occurs, etc. That said, though one can wait to train many years in order to become proficient in Aikido and then therefore in their law enforcement duties, one can also learn Aikido tactics and strategies and apply them relatively quickly in a successful manner as long as those things are transmitted in a more "directed" (i.e. addressing the more probable needs of the average law enforcement agent) manner. I think those are the main two choices when it comes to Aikido and law enforcement work.

On a side note -- but one I feel is related: I feel Aikido is much more suited as a tactical base than some of the other bases you might find within various law enforcement agencies. For example, the ground-fighting folks (e.g. BJJ-base) and the striking folks (e.g. Krav Maga-base) often have a very difficult time in our scenario training sessions when we are dealing with truly resistant and/or aggressive subjects -- especially when more than one is involved. This is not to say that one should know how to fight on the ground or that one's should not know how to strike (or even to suggest that Aikido does not have strikes). However, it is extremely difficult (not impossible) to fight on the ground against a resistant/aggressive subject when you are wearing a fully loaded duty belt (because of the need to protect the various weapons you may simply be temporarily holding for the subject) and when your job is not to get him/her to "tap-out" but to get them in cuffs, etc. (Not to mention the multiple attacker situations.) And, while it is extremely difficult (i.e. requiring great skill, which requires a great time training) to strike someone with decent enough force to actually effect their mass or their will to resist and/or attack, it often proves more difficult to justify such tactics against both public perception and department policy.

You can check out this link for what some officers have said about our program. It will also tell you a little bit more about our program (about Aikido and arrest and control training). Down the road, I will be posting some articles on this exact stuff, so check out the site later too if you can -- at your convenience.

http://www.senshincenter.com/pages/dojoinfo/arcon.html

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.