View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 04:05 AM   #60
philippe willaume

United Kingdom
Re: my sensei "video clip"

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote: View Post
With this LOGIC (often being the opposite of PSYCHOlogic), women would only be battered once by a man. Typically, they blame themselves ("I burned the toast," "I have to learn better UKEMI") rather than impute nastiness to their abuser. CAVEAT EMPTOR.
Well put. Thank you.
Don
Since you are so well versed in syllogism (if i a=>b and b=>c then a=>c)
I believe that you understand their limitation as afar as cartesian/bolean logic is concerned.
The link between being "battered uki" and battered women is exactly the same as a cheap horse being expensive on the ground that rare things are expensive and since a cheap hores is rare....

Saying that battered uki and battered woman have anything in common is to psychology what Fox news is to independent journalism.
There are societal, economic and peer pressure on battered women that being a uke has no chance to even marginally get close.
If I agree that battering uke is a form a bullying that does not have anything remotely comparable to battered woman.
"I burnt the toast" is a way to cope with an environment that the woman has no chance to escape from on her own and 24/7 attacks on her self worth and self esteem.
That is just not the case for the majority of ukes as they actually can escape.
I mean when we are in seminar when we do not like a training partner, most of us just do not train with that guy again (or enter a snotting competition but in that case it is willful act)

As I said before
Some like hard aikido some like soft aikido. It is all fine.

All
However what is not fine is That sensei has been pilloried for two blumming page on the ground of one video.
May be he said to his uke after the demonstration "sorry mate I did not mean to drop you on your head."
One can understand the pats on the head and helping him to get up are a way to publicly acknowledge that the technique was too rough and apologies for it.

We do not have any context as to pass judgment.
As far as having risk of injury, well yes there is but there is in plenty of other activity. I can understand that if you are on the spiritual development side of the track, that type of risk is unacceptable but you do need to realize that there some of use that practice for the martial aspect and that the risk of injury is perfectly acceptable, especially since we do it in a controlled environment.
I like functional aikido but I am the first on to say that you can not really engage in proper free sparing).
Obviously, a safe environment implies that you do adapt the intensity of your technique to your training partner (according to rank, age and disposition) and well it does imply that there is an intrinsic ability level that goes with each grade.

I joust sometime with solid lances. (And probably most of us are involved in risky leisure activity).
Yes I can end up like Henry II of France, with a bit of lance it the brain, or I can break something being unhorsed, fortunately armour and lances are designed so that it is very very unlikely.
At the end of the day we do take precaution to minimize accident and injury but the risk is always there.
Unlike battered woman there is no one or nothing forcing me to get on a horse or forcing us to get on the mat if we do not want to
phil

One Ringeck to bring them all and in darkness bind them,
In the Land of Windsor where phlip phlop live.