Old 05-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #123
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Tadashi Abe and Kenji Tomiki and their criticism

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Hi Jason,

I think I understad what you mean and I've also looking to fix my issues with aikido (going outside aikido, of course, I'm a lost cause for aikido) and helping others to find quality IP/Aiki instruction also outside of aikido because, the people who is teaching it, people like Dan, Mike, Ark, Howard, Ushiro, etc., are not aikido instructors.

Hi Chris,

Which one of them is an aikido shihan from a recognized aikido org?
Why does that matter?

If that kind of thing matters, there are a number of "recognized aikido shihan from recognized aikido organizations" working with this stuff.

But it really shouldn't make a difference as to whether you yourself are working on it or not.

In any case, as far as I'm concerned, "Aikido" is whatever Ueshiba was doing, and everything that I've seen Dan do fits in just fine.

Quote:
It could be argued Shodokan is not aikido in a strict sense as it's ouside of the aikido iemoto system and their teaching methods are in contradiction with founder's and his heirs ideals about what aikido is.

In any case, I would't say Shodokan is mainstream aikido.
But it's not an "underground art", which was my point. There are no Nishio style dojo in Honolulu either, but that doesn't mean that Nishio style (which is Aikikai) is an "underground art" either.

Quote:
What if the little use ot these clips is because they don't show clearly the effects of IP/Aiki in resisting, uncooperative and trained opponents? Why there are no videos of IP/Aiki with "aliveness"?
Like I said, better to get yourself where you can get your hands on someone than waiting around for someone to put it on TV.

Best,

Chris