View Single Post
Old 06-06-2002, 11:36 AM   #12
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
For instance, if we use rank (and all of its trappings) as a paradoxical problem (Zen koan, for example) and go through the various levels of experience we can come to an understanding of it that leaves us without real attachement to the rank and all it entails except possibly (hopefully), the resposibility that should go along with rank
Hey Chuck, I like this--thanks.

small story: Just after I had tested for shodan a friend of mine was asking about the test (he had done TKD for several years). He asked what new techniques I'd get to learn now that I was a black belt. I told him none. The only thing we really got with more rank was more responsibility and work. He seemed confused and asked "you don't get any new kata or techniques that are only for black belts?....that sucks!" I just smiled

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."