DH
United_States
Re: "The goal is not to throw"

Quote:
Kristoffer Sandven wrote: View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Gregory Gargiso wrote:
Alone that is a true statement, but in context......
Oh I am sorry I thought this was a MARTIAL arts forum
Martial -of, suitable for, or associated with war or the armed forces: martial music.
3. characteristic of or befitting a warrior
LOL - what I mean is that there are ways of getting the guy on the other end to understand you have beaten him, without actually beating him up
Well, the point is that both are true and are not mutually exclusive.
The greater truth, is that IP/aiki does demonstrate it's superior approach without people getting hurt...all the time, and even makes them look at you funny or laugh at loud. It's even more fun when.... for the first time in their lives they actually start moving from center and using connection and aiki...like they have read about and thought they were doing.
From Shodan to Shihan I just shake their hands and say "Welcome to moving from your center." Most of what I see in Japanese Budo is just simply awful. Even embarrasing! When we tell people "We move from center" and "Our center is in our hands".... for the most part...we're not even close.
It's truly astounding that soo very many are so totally off base that you can't even have a discussion about trainng it or about the aspects of throwing in an aiki art. There is no common reference or as I said to Mat: "No mutual approach," at all.
You couldn't pay me to move like the majority of Japanese Shihan I have seen!

Dan

Last edited by DH : 01-30-2012 at 08:41 AM.