View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 11:04 AM   #17
chillzATL
United_States
Re: Putting IS/Aiki back into Aikido?

Quote:
Budd Yuhasz wrote: View Post
I've tried a couple different methods of rewiring IS stuff back into an ongoing class situation. Since moving to WNY, I've had the forced luxury of trying a number of things out in my solo practice, while working out occasionally with visitors, dojo hopping (though I've mostly been going to MMA gyms with some sidebars in western fencing), etc.

It's come to a point where I want to flesh out MY practice, though, so in the interest of seeing who's interested in working on stuff I want to work on, I'm starting an Introduction to Taikyoku Aikido class through one of the community ed groups (still working on which one - will depend who signs up as there's a couple options currently being advertised). To start, it will be minimal "aikido" stuff - plainclothes, working on aikido taiso and IS fundamentals with a very slow start into "waza" and other applications. Any partner drills will emphasize the center-to-center connection and build out from there. This will be very much a work in progress effort - independent of dojo/organizational affiliations or rank.

But a basic foundation of the practice is that everything will be subservient to IS/body fundamentals. Especially at the beginning, it will be much less a practice of martial arts, but more one of body cultivation - with applications, sparring and methodology growing out from there. First, let's see if we get anyone that wants to train this way Otherwise, I'll keep doing my own thing.
Nice Budd, you should blog it!