Thread: Shiko Training
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #42
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Shiko Training

Quote:
Jang Choe wrote: View Post
It's probably because it helps to develop that whole body connection (from head to finger to toe). This helps a martial artist because it makes them feel stronger to their opponent.
I'd suggest there's more to that part of; it's the like the start of some things that all tie together. But it's good to see these things being discussed as a topic.
Quote:
Buddha's Warrior Attendant move in the Chen Taiji form is pretty much shiko. I rotate my dantien (my torso) to the right to pick my right leg up and rotate my torso left to drop the leg back down.
Yeah, that's good. Besides Buddha's Warrior Attendant Pounds Mortar, there are equivalent practices in a number of other arts. There are partial practices in a number of arts (e.g. the fumikomi in Kendo, the step/stomp in Xingyi, etc.) that are undoubtedly related from long ago to the same practice. That's why it would be a little silly to tell, say, a Chen-stylist that "I've never seen you practice Shiko".
Quote:
It's better than using just your hip flexor muscles to just pick up that leg. That's just training your hip flexor muscles. I guess that's okay if you want nice looking hip flexors.

But if you use the winding connection in your body (also connected to the ground), the leg should feel stronger to the opponent when the leg is raised--provided your body's connection is conditioned well. It's because you have that whole body behind the leg being raised. That can be good if you want to knee someone, walk, or do whatever technique that involves you picking your leg up.

These are just my observations.
Thanks, Jang. That's pretty good. I think Shiko is a lot more involved than people realize. There's plenty more that could be discussed, too.

Best.

Mike