View Single Post
Old 12-06-2001, 03:55 PM   #31
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Fatal Injuries

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Harnack
Thank you Peter for expounding a bit more on the culture of hazing in Japan. It represents one of the more negative aspects of Japanese culture at large, even within the context of the same culture.

Over the years it has led to students committing suicide be cause they were "not strong enough" to put up with it. It has led to injuries in the martial arts which are needless.

Attempting to provide such hazing with a cultural rationale does not work. The rationale is some version of the "samurai code" as enunciated in Nitobe's book and other 19th century samurai writings. The fact the many of these writings were intended to justify the establishment of the Meiji Emperor, is often left out. There were very political reasons for the enforcement of such a code across the nation.

However, I was not aware that martial artists, especially high ranking ones were exempt from general codes of civilized conduct. Training is dangerous enough, as evidence by some of the examples cited above, without persons posturing on about "death on the mat" as an rationale for poor behavior.

Sorry, the culture issue does not wash in this day and age. A martial artist who refuses to take responsibility for their partner's safety is dangerous and probably should not attempt to train with anyone but themself, that way they can limit who they might hurt.

Lest we get caught up in solely the martial arts, ask yourself this question:
"Does the thought that driving on the highways brings on the possibility of death at any moment excuse the driver to drive unsafely for the road and traffic?"

I submit that this is no different than training in the dojo. Why then woudl such behavior be excuseable in one instance and not another?
Richard,

I have struggled with this issue for many years, ever since I actualy confronted a very eminent Aikikai instructor and demanded to know why his violence on the tatami was reflected in the fear with which he carried on his social relationships. There he was, an eminent shihan who had trained with the Founder himself, but just what had aikido taught him? Unfortunately, the confrontation resulted only in slight modification of his behaviour.

My short answer to you is that you are playing God and judging the moral conventions of one culture in the light of another which you believe is superior. I am not saying this is wrong: most westerners do this anyway. But it has taken me a long time to realise that the Japanese simply do not have a system of abstract moral principles which are universally valid and which they apply in all situations regardless. I am not the first person to have realised this, of course. The writer Karel van Wolferen also states this in his blistering critique of Japanese culture called The Enigma of Japanese Power. Have you read this book?

Attempting to give a cultural rationale for such behaviour actually works very well, here in Japan where I live. And bad driving is not a counterargument. No one would deny the general principle that it is wrong to cause death by dangerous driving. But when an accident actually happens, the situation sometimes changes, as I discovered.

Actually, with Arikawa Sensei, people do in fact vote with their feet. One class is usually enough and, 'This is fine, but not for me", is usually the result. For those who vote to stay, however, there are also immense benefits.

Now you might say, Times have changed. Sokaku Takeda, Morihei Ueshiba, Kisshomaru Ueshina, Sadateru Arikawa were men of their times, but the kind of behaviour which they practised and condoned is no longer acceptable. But these people were/are the products of a certain martial culture. I am not saying that this culture is properly described in Nitobe's book. What I am saying is that I am not on the moral high ground and do not have the right to condemn it because it leads to excesses such as hazing.

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury