View Single Post
Old 12-31-2016, 02:36 PM   #162
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States
Re: The Way of Aiki

Quote:
Tarik Ghbeish wrote: View Post
The language just doesn't work for me. I don't consider my harmony or any of the definitions of congruence, mathematical or otherwise, (except maybe compatibility) to describe well what is going on when I receive uke's attacking energy into my physical system and use it to affect their structure.
Based on what you've described above I understand how the word blending doesn't work for you. It does work for me because when I'm training, from my point of view, uke and I cease to be separate individuals and become a single integrated system in motion. To me, that's blending.

Quote:
Tarik Ghbeish wrote: View Post
But maybe I am just worrying too much about semantics here, although at especially beginning levels of training I find sematic descriptions incredibly important in the responses they illicit from untrained students.
And I think the descriptions we use with our students have to be compatible with the context of our individual Aikido styles. So I don't think you're over reaching with your concern here. When we're exchanging ideas in these forums it's important to keep in mind that we're seeing Aikido thru different filters and training backgrounds.

Ron