View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #14
Sarah Lothmann

Dojo: Glendal, AZ
United_States
Re: Ettiquette Question

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Yes, you can influence the outcome of an injury, there are all kinds of ways, but when it comes right down to it, you don't control the outcome; you don't even know what the outcome will be.
I agree with you there Mary! One definitely cannot control the outcome! To try to would be disastrous...speaking from my own experiences! What I'm trying to put out there, which I may not have been to clear about, is that one can control their perception of the outcome. For example:

My ex-fiance of 7 years, now very dear friend, had been fresh out of high school, just finished basic training in the military, and had just gone home for a brief visit before he was stationed in Germany for a year. He was a Crew Chief and eagerly looked forward to his work with F-16s and one day getting his chance to ride in one! While home for the weekend, late at night, while on the freeway, he sees a man on the side of the road needing a jump. He helps the guy out. While hooking up jumper cables, a drunk driver comes wildly along going over 80 mph and hits one of the vehicles. My ex was between the two parked cars at the time. As you can imagine he was crushed between the two. His injuries that night were beyond what most folks can imagine. He was told he would require amputation, and later that night he nearly died from blood loss. By some miracle or will of his own maybe, the doctors were able to save his legs. But things were never as easy nor the same as before. Years upon years he struggled to build strength. To this day he still aches constantly, limps, and cannot do the things in life he once planned to do. It took him years to work through the emotional aspects. He still is. However he has found upsides to his injury. He has helped people understand the value in not drinking and driving, helps people understand their fears with pain, gives inspiration to those who are stuck in self pity... I could go on and on. Yes he still thinks it "sucks royally" and is unfair, but as you said, he has learned a level of acceptance. Through this acceptance then came the ability to see purpose. That's all I was hoping to communicate. Sorry I wasn't to clear before. Mary, you are right on track with it...thank you for helping me express this!