View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 03:56 AM   #7
Lari Hammarberg
Dojo: Aikidoseura Asahi Lappeenranta Finland
Finland
Re: Hello, i'm a newbie here and i have questions.

Quote:
Dean Suter wrote: View Post
Not to discourage you...but...hold off on buying anything, gi or weapons until you give aikido a fair go.

I have seen people arrive at the dojo, become fanatical about practice, they buy the gear and then one month later disappear.

Don't be one of these guys. Take your time, continue to ask questions of your dojo and yourself. I didn't buy a gi until I was asked to test for my first rank, so there ya go.

My opinion.
Dean.
Hello there Dean.

I see, after borwsing this forum and few others for last couple of days it seems apparent that in many dojo's there's quie a few quitters.. Doesnt surprise considering the nature of Aikido.

But i think i'll love it, as i said before i am more and less familiar to Aikido, thanks to my brother, bless that guy.

I think i'll hold my horses and look around/talk with sensei first. It would be terrible waste to buy gear and all that and then just walk out. Which i dont believe im going to do. I love this art, and i'm ready to dedicate a lot of time for learning it.

Hmm, i wonder if some of the quitters go because it takes so long to learn? Todays western culture is so saturated with "i want it all here now!" I think it's hard for many people to start practicing skills which take a lifetime to master. It's funny, the learning curve and dedication it takes reminds me muh of drumming. Micromanaging the tehnique, countless training hours and infinite possibilities to get better with something. This is why i think i'll stick to it easily than most, i know what it takes to "learn to walk again."