View Single Post
Old 07-30-2002, 05:47 AM   #14
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Quote:
Robert Cronin (BC) wrote:
Well, just a week ago it was around 110 degrees here, so I guess you're right. My jo is going on four years old, and has been treated with tung oil from the beginning (cut with mineral spirits I should add), and haven't had a problem yet. I also have a close relative who's had a 3rd generation family-run cabinet making business confirm that the tung oil is a good treatment for the wood. I guess we'll just have to agree-to-disagree, Mr. Jennings.
Linseed oil and tung oil are _terrific_ treatments for wood. As I said, I've used them for years to finish gun stocks to a very beautiful, natural finish.

Cutting the tung oil with mineral spirits may make the oil less inclined to coagulate and give the effect I'm speaking of. Ditto Christian's suggestion of wiping off excess with turpentine. I have no experience with either.

What I'm speaking about is layers and layers of boiled linseed and/or tung oil eventually filling all the pores and forming a completely smooth, satiny finish. It's gorgous when done well. I just completed refinishing a family heirloom cherry banquet table using it; it's out of this world.

But with the jo, my experience has been that once the pores fill up and one doesn't feel the pores anymore, the jo will drag some in the hands when doing tsuki movements.

YMMV and I'd be fine with that.

Best Regards,

Last edited by Greg Jennings : 07-30-2002 at 08:08 AM.

Greg Jennings