View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
patf
United_States
Re: Need Help with Standing Roll.

Couple of things that helped me out...

1. Don't jump into the roll (unless you have no choice) your natural body forward momentum should be enough to get you back up again
2. Tuck your head
3. You should feel like you are rolling all the way from the blade side of your "rolling hand" and across your back. Pushing (extending out) with your hand as it makes contact with the mat was an ukemi changer for me.
4. Another tip might be to try rolling in as short a space as possible, we practiced this at an ukemi seminar as an a ukemi technique for saving energy and self protection.
5. During a throw try and absorb more of nages energy before the roll, either by shifting/turning your body, swinging a leg back etc.
6. The closer you get your head to the ground before you roll the less energy/impact will be needed to complete the roll. Practice standing on one leg and reaching forward/down to the ground while swinging the raised leg backwards to maintain balance. while Having someone support your arm would be a good help.
7. Placing your other hand on the mat, just a little ahead of the supporting hand as you enter the roll may give you additional support.
8. Try and relax as much as possible.

I went to an Ukemi seminar hosted by Sensei Jeff Soderman in Jiai Aikida (San Diego) last year and it was an eye opener for me. We did this exercise where we lay on our back and rolled from side to side. This teaches you to extend your arms in the correct shape to make a rounder shape for easier rolling. It also allows you to practice pushing/extending with the contact arm to support the fall and make some direction changes if necessary.
In the end it's practice, though too many rolls at one time made me tired and more prone to having a few bad rolls. There were several exercises that Soderman sensei taught us at the seminar that I still practice and the have made a big difference for me. I can try and put them to paper if you'd like.
It seemed to me that my rolling got to a stage where it was OK, I would have a few bad days where my body would feel like a bag of bricks, but after the ukemi seminar and regular practice of the exercises I noticed about 6 months ago that I was no longer thinking about my rolls at all and they were happening naturally and smoothly. The extending of the supporting arm has helped me take falls while my body has been in some unusual positions.

I would recommend you hunt out an ukemi seminar if there is one in your area.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by patf : 12-11-2008 at 09:44 AM.