View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #18
Basia Halliop
Canada
Re: Ueno Chimp Rolls

I agree with Carsten. What this discussion is showing me is that there seems to be more variation than I had realized in the forward rolls considered 'standard' in different styles or dojos. Which is interesting, because I thought it was one of the few things that was almost universal. (I mean, everyone teaches them differently and there are variations in what the hands do especially when first learning, but I assumed the trajectory across the back was basically the same).

I am curious to those who normally roll higher up on the back than this -- how much higher up the back do you go? and do you still find most people are able to take rolls safely if pushed with a lot of force? We normally try to correct beginners or children who initially roll 'too close to the head' or 'too near along the spine' and when doing techniques, we often throw them a bit more gently than usual until they learn to do it more diagonally, neither 'summersault' nor 'log roll'. But perhaps it's one of those things where if you learn to do it well more than one way can be done safely?